Top 5 Cat Myths

The cat is a very misunderstood animal. Here are the top 5 "facts" about cats that most people still believe to be true:

#5: Cats Can See In The Dark
A cat has vertical pupils that expand to let him see in near darkness. He has about thirty whiskers which help him find his way around at night, even in strange surroundings. But he is not endowed with special eyesight that can enable him to see in absolute darkness.

#4: Cats Are Surefooted, And Always Land On Their Feet
Some children, believing this piece of folklore, delight in dropping Puss from heights-like out of the window-just to prove it is true. But it is more often false. Puss ends up with broken legs, or neck, and it is too late to say “Don’t believe everything you hear!”

It’s true that cats are the most agile, surefooted, graceful animals in the world-most of the time. But they can also knock over lamps, send coffee cups flying, and fall off chairs. They can end up with broken bones in short falls, especially when they are kittens.

#3: Cats Are Cowards
Dogs are well known for their heroism, but not many people know that cats, too, have their hours of glory. For instance, Agatha, who saved her family from fire by jumping on their bed. Or a cunning Siamese named Su-Ling, whose ferocious growling and tiger pounce sent a prowler scrambling. Or the story of the courageous feline who scratched her sleeping mistress continuously to save her from fire, knowing the dear, deaf lady could not hear.

There are many stories of cats scaring away poisonous reptiles, scorpions, and other unpleasant folk. In Florida, a tiny kitten was credited with alerting her mistress to the danger of a deadly coral snake. Remember, heroism is not confined to only one species of animal.

#2: Cats Are Stupid

Physiologically, a cat’s brain bears a striking resemblance to that of man-more so than any other animal’s. How do we measure intelligence in an animal? One cannot and should not play one species off against another. Cats, for example, are bored with mazes. But watch them get out of any enclosed space!

They can open doors, lift latches, leap many times their own length over walls. Psychologists have noted that their ability to escape confinement is superior to that of any other animal. Besides superb skill and strategy in stalking prey, cats have a built in clock. They know when it’s time for you to come home, and when it is time for bed.

#1: Cats Are Not Affectionate
The person who thinks a cat is an unloving animal never held one on his lap. First the cat kneads gently to make the spot as soft and comfortable as possible, then settles down and purrs. Whether he purrs loudly of softly, it’s love. A cat’s affection is always subtle, like rubbing against your legs. Each cat varies in the amount of affection he wishes to put forth, and in the ways he wishes to show it. But it’s there-as long as you are receptive-and sometimes even if you’re not.

8 comments:

Mark said...

I totally agree. Cats are amazing creatures. I have one that is very intelligent and very affectionate. However, she will surely let you know if you make her mad. She is also ALWAYS back home in time.

Also, once she brought back a baby rattlesnake alive as a "gift". She didn't get hurt and apparently neither did the snake. She likes to bring back live gifts every so often, I always let them go.

Anonymous said...

yes, i agree with the intelligence, courage, cleverness and affection of cats. i have a tabby named gandalf who brings rodents as gifts, then sometimes decides he wants to eat the top part--so i get a lovely gift of what i call "rat-pants"--yummmmmMEE.

egeerardyn said...

Indeed, cats are wonderful creatures, but I must also say some specimens are mostly anything but graceful. One of my own cats, well, runs into a lot of obstacles every day. But he makes up for it in the affection department: many mornings he just jumps up the bed for a petting.

Anonymous said...

I have to give my cat story... or favorite one, at least. My young tabby Otto, was friendly, but not a lover. One day he fell down an open window into my basement (it was an apartment and I didn't have access) and couldn't get out... we didn't think about him for several days as he was an outside/inside cat and was regularly gone for many days. One day I heard him meowing faintly while I was asleep and went to investigate. I eventually located him in the basement, and while lying on the ground (it was a half in-ground basement with a small window at ground level to the outside), I reached down as far as I could and called to him. He jumped up to my hand so I could catch him and haul him out... he loved me dearly ever since. That wasn't the story, just the precursor to the actual story. After that time I worried about him when he was gone for several days. On one of those instances I went outside and called "OTTO" several times, I heard a low 'tinkle, tinKLE, TINKLE', growing steadily louder (he had a bell on) until he finally came into view. He ran right up to me, jumped up to my hand, then ran off again just as quickly 'TINKLE TINkle tinkle' off into the distance.... he just wanted me to know that he was ok. I love him dearly.

Unknown said...

My cats always place their "gifts" in front of my refrigerator. I assume they see that as my food dish.

Anonymous said...

I took care of four kittens from the shelter last year. They'd lost their mother around day 5 of their life. I had to teach them how to eat from a bottle and feed them every 2-4 hours for a month. Wow, that was a lot of work. I don't have kids of my own, but I have an idea of what it takes now. But, the love I got back (and the TRUST) from them was amazing. I found two homes so each could be with one of their siblings. I know they're happy and loved and couldn't ask for more. Here's Blue in our water fountain http://www.shotinthelight.com/portraitpageFirst.htm

Anonymous said...

I have three cats, Hank (age 19), Weird (age 10), and Milbert, (age 3). All of them are totally different personalities. Hank is openly affectionate and welcoming to everyone he sees, including total strangers. Weird takes awhile, but she'll come out of her shell and tentatively come up for a little petting if the company sticks around long enough..and if you don't talk loud. And Milbert (despite the name, Milbert is a girl) is devoted to me. She is starting to warm up to my husband, but she still only shows affection to me. But at least now she'll play with my husband occasionally. Any other visitors to the house, and she's gone into hiding the minute the doorbell rings. All of my kitties have different temperaments, and I love all three of them and treasure and cherish them for their differences.

pinkpalace said...

I dearly loved my cat. We were extremely close. I got him as a very young kitten. It was love at first sight for both of us.

As a kitten he would sleep on my chest and tuck his head under my chin. As he grew, he needed the full length of my lap (and outstretched legs) to lie down.

When I got home from work the first thing I had to do was lie down on the bed so he could lie on my body (still tucking his head under my chin) and cuddle for a time - it was relaxing for both of us.

He was full of love, affection and intelligence. He would curl up on a table beside the bird cage and not bother them a bit.

He's passed on now and I miss him. Every time I see a ginger tabby I want one again.